Truly, is this really the 50th Super Bowl? Fact is, I remember the First Super Bowl! I don't remember who played--the Saints?--naw, just kidding--no, I don't remember--just a sec--Green Bay vs. Kansas City, 35-10.
I remember the Steelers with Terry Bradshaw as QB. Those were fantastical passing games. Some of those early games were won in the last seconds. More recent games were incredibly one-sided (and boring). Then there was the year that the Saints won the Super Bowl (vs Indianapolis Colts 31-17). There was delirium in New Orleans that night--in fact, all of Louisiana! Would love to see that happen again.
It's early afternoon. I'm just waiting for the game to start. I am supporting Peyton Manning's Broncos. Why? Just listen to this excellent reason: I love Peyton's commercial: Hmmm hmmm hmmmhmmmm!
Addendum: I want to share how I and the first ex watched that first Super Bowl. We were poor: he was still in college and I made a young teacher's salary back in the 70's ($4,990--yes, can you believe it? ). So, we were poor. We had two television sets: one for the picture, one for the sound. Yes, we were poor.
Post note: Well, the Broncos did it with Peyton scoring the last two points with a pass into end zone for the 2-point conversion. Final score: Denver 24 and Carolina 10. Whew, it was close for a while. Note the low score for a Super Bowl game. Both defense teams really worked it with various sacks, fumbles, and turnovers. However, the Broncos prevailed. I'm not gloating--my sister was supporting the Patriots. Yet! I'm so glad for Peyton!!
Books on my very ambitious TBR list (*denotes read)
- *Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
- The Odd Women by George Gissing
- The Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson
- How to Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esme Raji Codell
- The Cod Tale by Mark Kurlansky
- In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden
- *Joan of Arc by Mark Twain
- Dag Hammarskjold by Elizabeth Rider Montgomery
- The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet by Rabbi Michael L. Munk
- Children of Strangers by Lyle Saxon
- Spiritual Writings by Flannery O'Connor
- Nightmares and Visions: Flannery O'Connor and the Catholic Grotesque by Gilbert H. Muller
- The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
- Flannery O'Connor's South by Robert Coles
- Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
- Sylvanus Now by Donna Morrissey
- *Vincent de Paul by Margaret Ann Hubbard
- Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
- A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
- The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel
- Readicide by Kelly Gallagher
- *Ruined by Paula Morris
- Say You're Not One of Them by Uwem Akpan
- Wandering Star by J.M.G. Le Clezio
- Silence by Shusaku Endo
- *The Assault by Harry Mulisch
- Kari's Saga by Robert Jansson
- *The German Mujahid by Boualem Sansal
- Western Skies by Joseph Conrad
- *The Giver by Lois Lowery
- *Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski