Monday, June 14, 2010

Judy's Creations

Last summer I recovered pillows  and brought in new ones which I covered with my wild matching colors of chartreuse, aqua, purple, magenta, and orange. These pillows became a focal point in the new decorations in the school library where I am librarian. I even took my sewing machine to the school to sew and rip and resew.

I had so much fun! In fact, that was the first time I had done any extensive sewing in years. For too many years I graded papers and did lesson plans. As librarian I work hard during the day and do plan lessons, but grading papers? Minimal and easy.

All this is back story to a new craft and hobby I assumed during Christmas holidays. I looked through pattern books at my favorite craft store and found this pattern for a cat. Hmmm. Can I do this? It turns out, why yes, I could. Here's an example:



This is one of my favorites: Japanese Cat!













Bug Baby on the left and L'il Princess on the right.









And purses. I've created a mini business in purses. Here are a few:












So this is my work. I want to share it. I want to send out my purses to all the world--to create fun in toting one's possessions that need to be at hand on a daily basis, to have fun pulling out a checkbook from a purse that looks like a wine tasting or an English countryside spewed with polka dots or an antiqued look of Americana in anticipation of our annual holiday. Or any of the other fun purses I have created.

Someone recently told me that these purses are easy to make. Yes, they are, I said. Go make one. That's the point. Who wants to make a purse when you can find me and buy one already made and ready to tote!! I have the fun of mixing and matching patterns and colors, what goes where. Oh, the joy of colors! My favorite one pictured above is the first one: brightly striped, outdoor fabric matched with dramatic black. Isn't it glorious! Here's one more:
This one gets a wow, don't you agree?

No comments:

A favorite souvenir

A favorite souvenir
These are my two girls from Ireland!

Judy's shared items

Books on my very ambitious TBR list (*denotes read)

  • *Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
  • The Odd Women by George Gissing
  • The Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esme Raji Codell
  • The Cod Tale by Mark Kurlansky
  • In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden
  • *Joan of Arc by Mark Twain
  • Dag Hammarskjold by Elizabeth Rider Montgomery
  • The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet by Rabbi Michael L. Munk
  • Children of Strangers by Lyle Saxon
  • Spiritual Writings by Flannery O'Connor
  • Nightmares and Visions: Flannery O'Connor and the Catholic Grotesque by Gilbert H. Muller
  • The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
  • Flannery O'Connor's South by Robert Coles
  • Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
  • Sylvanus Now by Donna Morrissey
  • *Vincent de Paul by Margaret Ann Hubbard
  • Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
  • A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
  • The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel
  • Readicide by Kelly Gallagher
  • *Ruined by Paula Morris
  • Say You're Not One of Them by Uwem Akpan
  • Wandering Star by J.M.G. Le Clezio
  • Silence by Shusaku Endo
  • *The Assault by Harry Mulisch
  • Kari's Saga by Robert Jansson
  • *The German Mujahid by Boualem Sansal
  • Western Skies by Joseph Conrad
  • *The Giver by Lois Lowery
  • *Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski

School Library Journal - NeverEndingSearch

Imperium

Imperium
A semester course in one book about the Soviet Union. Click on image for my review.